Sunday, January 05, 2014

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
Fiction/Literature

After an unknown event in the old ways of life, Colortocracy started ruling society. Social classes are designated by which colour people can see and there are many rules set upon societies. It's quite different from life as we know it! Eddie Russett is a red and is sent to the fringes because he wants to improve the queueing system. He travels with his dad, who heals people through colour. When Eddie and his dad arrive in East Carmine, everything changes for them. The citizens of East Carmine tend to bend the rules a bit and there's a certain Grey who has caught Eddie's eye. Eddie is a bit too curious for his own good. Trying to figure out why a man pretended to be a purple instead of the grey he was and what happened to the last swatchman of East Carmine.

This book is one of the most creative books I've read. Building a society based purely on colour perception is such an interesting concept. Fforde goes beyond that and creates many additional ways of life different from current day. For example, spoons are a premium as they are no longer allowed to be made.

I found myself wondering if I could only see one colour which would it be? Purple is my favourite colour so I'd like to see that, but I think that blue would probably be my colour. I would want to be able to see the natural colour of the sky and bodies of water.

Having only read a few books in Fforde's Thursday Next series, this book exceeded my expectations. It is whitty, imaginative, humourous, and endearing.

First Line: "It began with my father not wanting to see the Last Rabbit and ended up with my being eaten by a carnivorous plant."

Rating:
(5/5)

No comments: