Friday, August 21, 2015

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Young Adult/Science Fiction

When an alien spaceship comes in to Earth's orbit and fails to contact, people know this isn't going to end well. The first wave cut the lights, the second destroyed the coasts, the third killed the majority of the population, the fourth made it impossible to trust anyone and the it's just a matter of time before the fifth wave starts. Cassie and her brother survive the fourth wave but get separated from each other and Cassie promises him that she'll find him. Knowing that she's being hunted and not being able to trust anyone, Cassie has to figure out how to find her brother.

I immediately was sucked in to this book, though found that I connected more with the story than with the characters. I wanted to know what happened, what the waves were, and what the aliens wanted. Cassie was a vessel to get me that information but I didn't really care for her as a character. The main issue I had with her was the weird love triangle that occurred through at least half of the book. It didn't make a whole lot of sense and felt rather childish.

Putting aside this, I still really enjoyed the novel because of its unique premise and will find the next book in the series to read.

First Line: "There will be no awakening."

Rating:
(4/5)

No comments: