Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Thriller

Rachel takes the train every day. Each day, the train stops at the same part and she can see in to the back yard of a couple whom she has given her own stories too. This house is only a couple homes down from her ex-husband, his new wife, and their baby. This is a farce though, Rachel hasn't been employed for weeks and has no where to go. Instead, she drinks until she blacks out. One of the nights she blacks out, the woman in the house that Rachel spies on goes missing. Rachel thinks she may have been involved but she can't remember.

This book had a lot of hype, as a top seller of 2015 and voted as a GoodReads Choice Winner. I'm a big fan of the thriller genre so I expected a lot from this book and unfortunately it just didn't live up to the hype for me. If I knew nothing about this book going in, I'd say it was an average thriller.

All of the characters in this book are horrible people. You can't root for any of them, even though I think the author wants you to feel sympathy for Rachel. There just really wasn't anything redeeming about her. Add this to the fact that the ending fell rather flat for me. I expected to be blown away and instead it was just a fizzle.

I bought this book as a Christmas present for some folks and now I feel kind of bad about it!

Rating:
(3.5/5)

No comments: