Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Glass Palace

The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh
Historical Fiction


A very interesting historical fiction! This book covers three generations of Burmese-Indian people. I found it quite disturbing how the English treated their colonials. Their justification of this treatment sounds too familiar even today. The question about responsibility for the conquered is also explored.

I knew little about this part of the world; only that my father was stationed there during the war. The deposing of the Burmese king through to the second World War are described and are fascinating to read about. Ghosh writes about love, loyalty, allegiances, and suffering


Rating:

(4.0/5)

1 comment:

Debi said...

Hello!

I'm stopping by to let you know that I've set up a separate blog for the What's in a Name? challenge. I hope you'll be able to stop by once in while to see what contests are going on and to leave links to any reviews you write. Thanks again for joining!

--Annie