Sunday, March 06, 2011

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Classic

It took me a while to get around to reading this one but I'm glad I finally picked it up. This is the story of the Bennet family and the five girls in that family. Mrs. Bennet is trying to find suitors for her girls in early 19th-century England because there are no male heirs to the Bennet estate, if Mr. Bennet dies the girls will be left without a house or income.

During one of the many balls that the girls go to, Elizabeth meets Mr. Darcy and takes an immediate disliking to him. However as the story unfolds she realizes she may have unnecessary prejudice against him.

The name of the book describes the story incredibly well. Each character suffers from either too much pride or too much prejudice. For being written in the early 1800s, the story reads quite well. However it got to a point where I felt like it was too high school "I like him, I don't like him". I just wanted the girls to make up their minds and get on with it. Still, this is a very well written book and understandable why it's a classic.

First Line: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Rating:
(4/5)

No comments: