Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Teen

(Spoilers from the first two books)
The final book in the Hunger Games trilogy sees Katniss rescued from another Hunger Games in an attempt by District 13, which everyone thought didn't exist, to overthrow the Capital. The problem is that Peeta was taken by the Capital and Katniss feels completely responsible. District 13 wants her to be the mockingjay and the face of the revolution against the Capital. It doesn't take Katniss long to decide when she sees Peeta show up multiple times on Capital television looking worse and worse. Only one person knows what she's going through, a previous victor who also made it out of the last Hunger Games, Finnick. As they commiserate with each other, District 13 is crafting a plan of how to capture the Capital and Katniss wants President Snow for herself.

The relationship development in this book was great and I would have liked to see it a bit more in the second book. I really enjoyed Finnick, once we got to know him and liked seeing Prim grow in to her own as well. Though not as captivating as the first two books, this still rounded out the series quite nicely. I don't think I fully understood Katniss' final decision of the Hunger Games. Was it for revenge or to save herself from Coin? This was a fabulous story and books I will be keeping in my collection!

First Line: "I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather."

Rating:
(4.5/5)

No comments: