Monday, November 19, 2007

Tears of the Giraffe

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith
Mystery


Tears of the Giraffe is the second in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. It is a cute cozy mystery. This time Mma Ramotswe sets out to discover what happened to an American boy who disappeared 10 years ago.

She takes on an assistant who finds out a wife has been unfaithful. Out of this some moral dilemmas are explored.

She also becomes engaged.

This series is for the person who loves to read about a 'gentler' time when people cared and acted properly. I love the way Precious talks about how people should be "That's the trouble with the world. Everyone thinks that they can make their own decisions about what is right and wrong"

The description of Botswana is fantastic. I wish I could visit there someday


Rating:

(4.0/5)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep trying and trying with McCall Smith and getting nowhere. It isn't just the African novels, I have the same problems with the Edinburgh ones. I think there must be something wrong with me!

Lauren said...

I have the exact same problem so there isn't anything wrong with you!

Dana said...

I think this book appeals to an older reader. I think my generation can relate better to the 'sayings' and general tone of the book

Jeane said...

Why is it called "Tears of the Giraffe"? I'm curious if there's an incident in the book, or a moral tale, that applied this title? I just like the title.

Dana said...

Tears of the Giraffe are a design in a basket. The giraffe gives its tears to the basketweaver. When asked why? Because that is all the giraffe has to offer. The morale being that we all have something to offer.