Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland

Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland
Fiction


Tyler is a hotel management college student that lives in a small town in Washington. His mom is a hippie with bad taste in men, his sister doesn't do much with his life, and his girlfriend is anorexic. When Tyler comes back from his European trip, he tries to forget that part of his life, including his run in with a French girl, Stephanie. But when Stephanie calls and says she's coming to the USA, Tyler can't hide from his two worlds coming together.
Like any Coupland book, this story is more about people and relationships than about events. I didn't find the characters in this novel as weird as previous Coupland novels that I've read, and for this I was thankful. Coupland keeps these characters weird, but not to the point where you can no longer relate to them.
Not my favourite Coupland book, but definitely not my least favourite either!


First line: "My mother, Jasmine, woke up this morning to find the word D-I-V-O-R-C-E written in mirror writing on her forehead in a big black felt pen".

Rating:

(3.5/5)

No comments: