Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy
Literature


Two Jewish children are left in a dense forest when their parents are pursued by Germans during the last part of WWII. Their parents caution them to use the good German names of Hansel and Gretel. They make their way through the forest to a hut on the outskirts of a village. There they find Magda, a stubborn and eccentric old woman, who decides to take a chance and get documents and introduce the children as relatives from afar.

Meanwhile their parents escape and join some partisans. Each of them must learn to live in a new environment. The children must learn to keep apart and keep their secrets. The parents must learn how to live in the forest and attack steathily.

When the Germans come to the village looking for 'perfect' children a whole new set of problems ensue.

I loved how the author continually drew parallels with the old folk tale. It was creative and made for a great story. It is a gruesome story about the trials and tribulations of war, starvation, murder and insanity


First Line: "Caught between green earth and blue sky, only truth kept me sane, but now lies disturb my peace."


Rating:

(4.0/5)

3 comments:

Jeane said...

It sounds interesting. I love it when fairy tales are woven into new settings. This one's new to me but I've read another set in the Holocaust- by Jane Yolen, about the sleeping beauty. Can't recall the title now. Briar Rose?

Candy said...

I LOVED this book. It was totally not what I was expecting. It was such a hard read too.

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks so good! I'm adding this to my wishlist right now!