Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Fantasy

A man, needing some time to himself after a funeral, drives back to his family home and a neighbouring barn to visit old friends and their ocean at the end of the lane. Sitting in front of the pond that his young friend Lettie used to call an ocean, the man starts remembering what happened during his childhood when he met Lettie and became her friend. It all started when a miner came in to town and committed suicide in his father's car. This starts a series of events that could not have been imagined, and that the man rarely remembers, except when he visits this pond.

This book was magical. I sat down and devoured it in a day, completely transfixed by the storytelling. I didn't even realize until the end of the book that we were never told the main character's name!

The entire book has a dream-like quality, which had me second guessing what was real. Gaiman paints pictures that are so easy to see in your mind, which is an usual quality for me to find in a book.

I feel at a bit of loss for words to describe how much I enjoyed this book. All I can say is buy it and read it!

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for letting me be a part of this tour.

First Line: "It was only a duck pond, out at the back of the farm."

Rating:
(5/5)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour! I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.