Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Jessica

Jessica by Bryce Courtenay
Non-Genre


I really enjoyed this book. It is about a young girl's abuse in the Australian Outback. Jessica's own mother mistreats her so that her other daughter can marry a wealthy station owner. Jessica overcomes so much in her young life. I love the way she fights her battles. She also makes friends with an aboriginal woman which would have been frowned upon in that era (1910+) and helps her get back her own children from the government. Another great read from one of my favourite authors
Favourite Character: Jessica. I love her persistence and sense of justice and her independence
Least Favourite Character: Hestor, Jessica's mother. What a contemptible woman
Best Part of the Story: When Jessica gets out of the insane asylum
Least Favourite Part of the Story: Jessica's pregnancy
What was missing: nothing


Rating:

(4.5/5)

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Sounds like a good story. Aort of Cinderella gone bad in a strange way. Looks like this one is going on my wishlist :)

Lauren said...

Hey Sheila! That's the second time you've posted at 3am in the morning! lol You should be reading a good book to help you get back to sleep :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Sheila beat me to the Cinderella comparison...

I'm going to have to add this one to My wishlist, I believe...

Dana said...

There is not a Bryce Courtenay book I have read that I didn't enjoy immensely