Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Madam

The Madam by Julianna Baggott
Literature


In 1924 in West Virginia, Alma decides to join her husband in a trip to Florida to buy a trunk full of potential treasures. She has to leave her children behind. When the trunk turns out to be full of old clothing, her husband abandons her.

Alma returns home, retrieves her two oldest children and starts a brothel. What ensues is a story of a strong woman. Alma loves her children and will do anything to protect them. This story is about how women help women and how a woman can overcome circumstances and rise above them.

I found the story just wandered along at times


Rating:

(3.0/5)

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I bought this at that book sale Janelle and I went to. Now I'm hoping I didn't put back a wish list book 'cause I liked the cover...

Dana said...

The cover and title pulled me in also :)