Saturday, January 26, 2008

Lauren's Meme

Jeane originally tagged us for a meme. I told my mom to do it simply because I hate finding people to tag after doing a meme. Now Shelley has tagged me. I can't escape!! Time to answer this thing!

1. What book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
The latest Mitch Albom book. I've read two of his previous works and they just were not to my taste - way too philosophical. I don't think I'll be going anywhere near his most recent one.

2. If you could bring three characters to life for a social event, who would they be and what would the event be?
First and foremost, I would bring to life Nick Stone from Andy McNab's mystery novels. This guy is amazing. He is an elite member of the SAS but comes from a pretty horrible background. He thinks of everything when he is on an operation yet remains completely humanistic. The way ladies drool over James Bond, I drool over Nick Stone.
I think Grandma Mazur from the Janet Evanovich series would be an absolute hoot to be around. Talk about a kick ass granny!
I need an intellectual now... hmmm. I'm tempted to say Robert Langdon from Dan Brown's books because he's the only professor I can think about off the top of my head. But I think I'm going to say Daniel from the book Microserfs by Douglas Coupland. An ex-Microsoft programmer - he could easily be me!! Heck, he's even traveled to my alma matter in the book, so we would have something to talk about!
There is no way these three could be in the same room together, so the event would never exist to begin with!

3. You are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to give you a nice grave?
Ulysses by James Joyce or Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I have a preconceived notion that both these books will be dreadfully boring.

4. Come on, we've all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you have been nowhere near it?
Does this include textbooks for school!?!? :D I don't lie about whether I've read a book. What's the point?

5. As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realize when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't. Which book?
Huh? No.

6. You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you would pick and why?
Blindness by Jose Saramago. Everyone should read this book. It's a picture of where society could end up if it's not careful. Wow. This book is one of my favourite books!

7. A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. What language do you go with?
I don't think this would factor in much to my reading decisions. I don't have enough time to read the books in English, let alone books in other languages. But wouldn't it be cool to be able to read in Latin?

8. A mischievious fairy comes and tells you that you must pick one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life. Which book would you pick?
Something short - like any Robert Munsch book!! These are children's books for those not familiar. Some of my favourite children's books in fact!

9. I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What is one bookish thing that you 'discovered' from book blogging?
I've added a heck of a pile of books to my wish list. But so far, I haven't had any ground breaking moments.

10. That good fairy is back for one last visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it and the books that would fill it.
A picture window overlooking the Rocky Mountains. High ceilings with sturdy cherry bookcases from floor to ceiling. The floor is carpeted to keep my feet warm, there's a fireplace somewhere in the room (not too close to the books though!!), a huge comfy chair to sit in.... ah heaven!

1 comment:

Jeane said...

Ulysses, in my opinion, is not just boring, it is utterly incomprehensible. For me!