Saturday, July 25, 2009

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Non Fiction


A "stickler" for proper punctuation, Truss takes to the pages of Eats, Shoots & Leaves to give the reader a lesson. Where did the comma originate and what are its uses? Why are apostrophes so often used incorrectly by grocery stores? These questions and everything else you want to know about punctuation are answered in the book.

I had heard many good things about this book, which is why I picked it up. Yet I found that it in no way lived up to its hype. The American/British comparisons weren't as relevant because Canadians use similar spelling and grammar to the British. Instead, I found Truss to be rather preachy and the lessons to be dull. I'm sad to say that I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone, though I do have a co-worker that is interested in reading regardless of my lackluster recommendation.


First Line: "Either this will ring bells for you, or it won't."


Rating:

(3/5)

No comments: