Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Young Adult

In the post-apocalyptic world of North America, now Panem there is a capitol surrounded by 12 districts. There had been an uprising but the capitol in order to quell any more requires each district to select 1 teen-aged boy and 1 teen-aged girl to participate in The Hunger Games. These games are a death to the end reality show.

Katniss' sister is chosen as District 12's tribute but Katniss volunteers to go in her stead along with Peeta, the baker's son who happens to be hopelessly in love with Katniss. They are trained and dressed and paraded until the actual horrific games start.

I just could not put the book down and if I had had the sequel I would have started it immediately. A great book. The plot is developed bit by bit bringing the reader in and never letting him go. I could picture the festivities, the training and the games as the book progressed.

The only nit is why the districts didn't rebel against the slaughter of their children. It was like they were automatons doing whatever they were told to do. There is non-stop action in the book so the movie will probably be a best seller also but I don't think I could stand to see the gore in living colour

First Line: "When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold."

Rating:
(4.5/5)

No comments: