Monday, May 06, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Teen

Beatrice Prior is from the faction Abnegation, which is know for its selflessness. There are four other factions that one may belong to in this new society, which was created because they thought this would stop wars from happening. Just before your 16th birthday, each teen is given a test to determine which faction they belong to. On choosing day they are allowed to either stay with their current faction or change to a new one, where they remain for the rest of their lives. When Beatrice takes her test though, there are abnormalities. She qualifies for three different factions, which isn't supposed to happen. She is divergent and being divergent is a very dangerous thing.

I'm sure like many, this will bring back reminders of The Hunger Games. It has many similarities: a strong female lead character, a new society broken up in different ways, dissension and more. This book had me hooked but I found it a somewhat slower read than The Hunger Games, which I blazed through. This book was enjoyable, I really liked thinking what if. What faction would I be placed in? Not as enjoyable as The Hunger Games but pretty close.

First Line: "There is one mirror in my house."

Rating:
(4/5)

No comments: