Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland

Fiction

I really enjoy Douglas Coupland. I've read many of his novels with Microserfs at the top of my list, followed by Girlfriend in a Coma and All Families are Psychotic. I like the weird characters and even weirder situations they get in to.

This time, I just wasn't having it. I could only make it about 35 pages through this book before getting so annoyed I had to toss it. The characters are beyond ridiculous this time and it wreaks of trying too hard.

I'm disappointed. And sad that I couldn't finish a Coupland novel.

First Line: "A few years ago it dawned on me that everybody past a certain age - regardless of how they look on the outside - pretty much constantly dreams of being able to escape from their lives."

No comments: