Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Historical Fiction


Dragonfly in Amber is the second book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Unexpectedly, this one starts in present time even though Outlander ended off in the 1700s with Jaime and Claire together. Claire has a 20 year old daughter, Brianna, and is taking her back to Scotland in order to tell her about who her real father is. Claire also enlists the help of Roger, the son of an acquaintance of Frank Randall's to help her determine which men survived the massacre at Culloden. While Claire tells her daughter about her journey in the 1700s, Gabaldon takes the reader through her life in France and Scotland.
I enjoyed reading about Claire and Jaime in France. I felt like there was a lot more for them to do in the city. It wasn't just running away from the English in the forests like the first one seemed to be. Politics and Claire's knowledge of history played a lot more into this book and it brought up quite an interesting dilemma. Is the course of history set no matter what or can we really alter it? Claire seemed to be continuously asking herself this.
Of course, the chemistry between Claire and Jaime is unbelievable. They are one of the best fictional couples I have ever had the pleasure to read about. Most of the characters from the previous novel made a reappearance. I mentioned in my review of Outlander that I hoped we would see Jenny and Ian again. There was a section of the book where Claire and Jaime got to spend some time with them and it wasn't disappointing.
The ending of the book is heartbreaking!! I won't give anything away but those that have read it will know what I'm talking about. I'm looking forward to starting the next one so I can find out what happens with Jaime and Claire!


Rating:

(4.5/5)

No comments: