Friday, May 16, 2014

The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver

The Devil's Teardrop by Jeffery Deaver
Mystery

Parker Kinkaid is an expert document analyst that's retired from the FBI to have a safer home environment for his two children. On New Years Eve in Washington, DC, a shooter kills many people at a subway station and a note is left for the mayor. Pay $20M or face three more shootings before the end of the night. The FBI brings in Kinkaid to take a look at the note and see what he can learn about the killer. Kinkaid finds one notable trait, what he calls the devil's teardrop, the dot on the i lifting up to make it look like a tear. Using this and other information, the team try to determine who is behind this and how to stop him.

This is the first Deaver book I've read and I was underwhelmed. The characters were rather one-dimensional. I couldn't connect with them so I didn't care what happened to them. Deaver tried at the beginning to get us to connect with Kinkaid through his children but by the time he was working he had lost much of his draw for me. It also felt to me like Deaver was creating characteristics for the characters just so they could be used to drive the mystery.

All of the suspense in this book was kept for the last 50-75 pages and by that time I was rather complacent about it. I'm not even sure if I'm interested in picking up another Deaver book after this one.

First Line: "The Digger's in town."

Rating:
(2.5/5)

No comments: