Wednesday, November 09, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Fiction/Literature

I read this book while in high school and decided to give it a re-read.

This book is set in a sleepy Alabama town in the Great Depression. The Finch family, Atticus the father and Jem and Scout, his son and daughter are the main characters. Atticus is a father that does not say 'do as I say and not as I do' but actually lives the exemplary life. He imparts wisdom and humour and is honourable.

Atticus represents Tom Robinson, a black man charged with raping a white teenager. Atticus is concerned about how the trial and his representation of a black man will affect his children.

This story although about racial prejudice is more about compassion and honour, kindness and cruelty, and innocence.

I loved this book every bit as much as the first time I read it decades ago. A real classic!!!!

First Line: "When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow."

Rating:
(5.0/5)

No comments: