Monday, November 03, 2008

Meridon

Meridon by Philippa Gregory
Historical Fiction


This is the third in the Wideacre series. Meridon is a poor gypsy girl who dreams of estates and escape from the extreme poverty she lives in. She also dreams of escaping the abuse of her father. Her father sells her and her sister to a travelling show. Meridon is a practical hard-working girl and her sister is a beautiful and impatient thief. Meridon learns how to ride bareback while her sister learns to fly on the trapeze. Meridon wishes to protect her sister at all costs. The owner of the travelling show is a cold man who will jettison anyone not pulling their weight. Her sister (Dandy) comes up with a way to escape their life by becoming pregnant with the owner's son. Dandy hasn't reckoned on being murdered by that same young man.

Meridon runs away and finds the estate she has been dreaming of all her life. She is the owner. Her life changes from having nothing to having everything. But inside she is cold and unemotional. She finds out that rich or poor there are still cheats, rogues and selfish people. But who can she trust??

I found the first part of the book a little slow but once I got into the story I just couldn't put it down. I am sorry to see the end of the series.


First Line: "'I don't belong here,' I said to myself."


Rating:

(4.0/5)

No comments: