Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
Memoir


This is a set of essays commenting on Sedaris' life. One of the stories is about the time his father drags him over to a bully's house insisting his father pay for the root canal needed. The bully had hit him with a rock in his mouth.

Another of the the stories is about the birth of his niece. His brother becomes a gentler soul but still is a hard-ass.

I must be losing my sense of humour as although the stories were okay I did not find them hilariously funny. I found the Sedaris family to be eccentric sometimes but just the same as any other family. Tiffany wants to divorce her family. Paul is proving his machismo because he is the only 'male'. David is timid because of his homosexuality. An okay read.


First Line: "When my family first moved to North Carolina, we lived in a rented house three blocks from the school where I would begin third grade."


Rating:

(3.5/5)

No comments: