Saturday, June 18, 2011

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles
Historical Fiction

Adair Colley and her family have managed to escape being pulled in to the Civil War for a few years before the militia comes to her home, arrests her father, tries to find her brother, and when they cannot, set the house on fire. Adair and her sisters leave the house with just a few personal belongings to try and find their father. In to enemy territory, she inquires about her father and instead is denounced as a spy and sent to jail without her sisters.

For each section of this book, it felt like the author was going to make that part the main part of the novel and I always hoped that it wouldn't be. About half way through the book, when Adair finally got out of jail, I realized I was so bored with the book that I decided not to continue with it. I couldn't tell if Adair's emotions were real or not, which bothered me, and I found that I just couldn't connect with her, so I didn't care what happened. I'm not a huge Civil War fan which could be part of the problem, but even if this took place in a different time I don't think I would be any more interested in it.

First Line: "It was the third year of the war and by now there was hardly anybody left in the country except the women and the children."

Rating:
(1.5/5)

No comments: